Illuminated Hebrew Bible
This illuminated Hebrew Bible has a range of inscriptions by previous owners, some of which are illegible. Two of its Jewish owners were from Kastoria (today in Greece). By 1726 it was in the possession of a Christian clergyman Johannes van der Hagen (1665-1739), who lived in Amsterdam. What happened later is not recorded in the manuscript itself. The manuscript was part of the library belonging to the Anglican minister Reverend Theodore Williams, which was sold in 1827 following his death. In 1892 Enriqueta Rylands purchased the manuscript from bookseller Bernard Quaritch.
This manuscript is also featured in the The Collectors Behind the Collection section of this exhibition.